Best Trading Apps for 2021
Mobile apps became very popular. They make your life a lot easier. There is an app for everything now. You can buy flight tickets, book a hotel, or trade on the stock exchange. There are a lot of trading apps out there so, to save you time, we selected the best free trading apps for you. Apps providing free stock, CFD trading, and ETF trading are gaining popularity, so it is worth taking a look at them if you don’t want to spend fortunes on your trading fees!
What are trading apps great for?
Trading apps can be used for trading, learning, charting, finding trading ideas, and also for market data and news. Some of the apps offer all of these features, while others only a few. Don’t worry, we have made trading app top lists for all of these features!
Trading apps are usually offered by financial companies such as online brokers or banks. These apps can be great add-ons to your web or desktop trading platform, but they can also be the flagship product of a company, for instance in the case of Robinhood, Etoro, and Freetrade.
We see trading apps as excellent complementary tools to web-based trading platforms and other financial portals. When you want to buy a stock, you can make fundamental or technical analyses on a computer more conveniently, but it’s easier to follow the price of the stocks you’ve already bought through a trading app. You can also intervene faster via an app, when, for example, you quickly need to sell your stocks.
We have tested the mobile trading apps of more than 70 online brokers. We have selected those, which provide free trading for stocks and ETFs on the US market, are user-friendly, and have great functionalities. If you are interested in comparing these apps, visit our comparison page.
When we tested the mobile applications we looked for:
- Good product and market search function
- Great variety of order types
- Price alert and order confirmation availability
- Two-step (safe) login
The top picks for the best trading apps in 2021
- Etoro – Best for Crypto and Copy Trading
- XM – Best Market Research and Alerts
- IQ Option – Best for combining Binary Options with CFD Trading
- Olymp Trade – Best for International Trading
- Plus500 – Award-Winning Platform
2021 Overall Trading Apps Ranking
Here are the Overall rankings for the online brokers who participated in our 2021 Trading Apps Review, sorted by Overall ranking.
- Commission-free trading in over 5,000 different stocks and ETFs
- No account maintenance fees or software platform fees
- Leverage of 4:1 on margin trades made the same day and leverage of 2:1 on trades held overnight
$30 Trading Bonus
- No commissions
- Lightning-fast execution
- Beginners education and live analysis
- 15 cryptocurrencies that can be traded 24/7
- Easy-to-use website and mobile app
- Great community for cryptocurrency traders
- High-quality trading platforms
- Good customer support
- Commission-free stock, ETF and options trades
- Robust research and asset screeners
- Excellent trade executions
- Low costs
Up to 100%
- Low Minimum Initial Deposit Requirement
- Cutting edge Trading Platform
- Quick withdrawals
- No commission for the trades
- Easier to manage your finances
- Everything can be customized everything according to needs
100%Bonus Welcome Deposit Bonus
- Low minimum deposit amount
- User friendly mobile app
- Variety of payment methods available
$600 Deposit Bonus
- Multiple investment options
- E*TRADE Web and Power E*TRADE are free to use for all client
- Power E*TRADE platform comes with real-time data, which is useful for any active trader
- Over 7,000 no-transaction-fee mutual funds
- Large investment selection
- Strong research and tools
- Easy-to-use platform
- Great account opening
- Quick and helpful customer support
- Commission-free stock, ETF and options trades.
- $0 contract fee on options trades
- All mutual funds are commission-free
- Lots of deposit and withdrawal options are available
- The regulation is strict
- Investor Compensation Fund
- The research tools are amazing
- It offers several wonderful educational materials
- The trading fees are low
- Low trading fees
- Easy and seamless account opening
- Strong parent company
- Comprehensive research
- Advanced tools available
- Commission-free stock, ETF and options trades
- No account minimum
- Trading is low-cost and free
- Real-time streaming quotes and fast trading capabilities
- No account minimum
- Streamlined interface
- Cryptocurrency trading
- $0 stock and ETF commissions
- Low account minimum
- High-quality mobile app
- Very easy to use
- Cash management features are very convenient
- No commissions
- The Forex fees are very low
- Client accounts are protected
- Low minimum deposit
- The trading platforms are great
- Opening an account is a very easy and fast process
- You get commission-free real stocks and ETFs
- Great deposit and withdrawal options
- First-class web trading platform
- Excellent educational tools
- Extensive range of offerings
- Regulated by FCA (U.K.)
- Industry's best research
- Great educational resources are a relief for newbie traders
- Various plugins help imbue traders with new functionality for order types, charting, technical analysis and indicators
- Zero-commission and from 0.0 spreads accounts
The Evolution of Investing Apps
TD Ameritrade and Robinhood have refined their app experience to a point where a majority of investors can take a mobile-only approach to their portfolio. However, traders and more active investors may never reach this point completely, depending on the strategies they are employing and how complex the trades are. These more desktop-dependent investors still benefit from having the ability to monitor their trades on the go and even open up new positions within reason.
It is worth reflecting on how far the mobile apps of online brokerages have come. The vast majority of mobile apps are stable platforms with streaming data and functional workflows. This wasn’t the case as recently as five years ago when it was difficult to synchronize watchlists between platforms.
As brokers and Robo-advisors have embraced cloud processing and data storage, it’s become the industry standard to offer the same experience on a mobile device as one might have on a desktop platform or website. That is a significant amount of progress for the investing industry overall. We can still pick at layouts and argue about which functions deserve to be included in the mobile version, but the fact remains that investors are closer than ever before to have the market in their hands.
Desktop vs. Mobile Experiences
Rather than producing different apps for their customers who trade on the road, brokers now strive for a consistent experience between desktop and mobile platforms, including sharing watch lists and alerts as well as tools such as stock screeners, portfolio analysis, and depositing checks into your account. Streaming data has made its way to mobile apps along with advanced charting and educational offerings. We’ve seen complex options analysis and trading enabled as well.
With the availability of computers in our pockets, the way people interact with their trading and investment accounts have forced brokers to offer mobile apps along with their traditional desktop platforms.
What is the best stock trading app for beginners?
For beginners in 2021, the best stock trading apps are TD Ameritrade and Fidelity.
Between the two brokers, TD Ameritrade has the edge for educational resources and trading tools. Meanwhile, Fidelity offers a more comprehensive research experience for casual investors.
What is the best free trading app?
The best free stock trading app is TD Ameritrade. Unlike most brokers, TD Ameritrade offers two stock apps: TD Ameritrade Mobile and thinkorswim Mobile. TD Ameritrade Mobile is designed for casual investors. Meanwhile, thinkorswim Mobile is designed for the feature-hungry active trader. Both apps are fantastic.
What is the best app for market news and research data?
Investing.com and Bloomberg are our top picks for best apps for market news and data.
- Investing.com offers a wide range of market data and news
- Bloomberg provides high-quality news and you can also watch videos or listen to audios
What is the Best app for charting and trading ideas?
TradingView and Stocktwits are our top picks for the best apps for charting and trading ideas.
- TradingView has excellent charting and analyzing functions and it has a great design
- Stocktwits is a great app for sharing and watching others’ trading ideas
What is the Best app for learning to invest or trade?
Invstr and Trading Game are our top picks for the best apps for learning.
- On Invstr’s great and easy-to-use platform you can easily learn the basics of trading
- Trading Game provides well-illustrated educational texts
What is the Best app for CFD and Forex Trading?
XM and Etoro are our top picks for the best apps for trading CFDs and forex
- XM is a great and easy-to-use platform that you can easily learn the basics of trading
- Etoro provides almost all assets available in the market, plus the opportunity to auto-trade using their copy trader function
All brokers listed on our website are regulated by at least one financial regulator and have never been reported as a scam. Our reviews and overall scores are based on the key areas above, in a combination with our opinion and commentary.
The reviews are shared and discussed with the brokers, but the authors of our website always have the final word. Furthermore, we always strive to keep the information on our website updated and relevant for our readers.
What helps us stand out is that we always test our brokers with an anonymous live account, to ensure we deliver the most accurate information and experience to our readers. Finally, our reviews and evaluation are always independent of any financial compensation we may receive from the brokers.
There is a very high degree of risk involved in trading securities.
With respect to margin-based foreign exchange trading, off-exchange derivatives, and cryptocurrencies, there is considerable exposure to risk, including but not limited to, leverage, creditworthiness, limited regulatory protection, and market volatility that may substantially affect the price or liquidity of a currency or related instrument. It should not be assumed that the methods, techniques, or indicators presented in these products will be profitable, or that they will not result in losses. Learn more at Wikipedia.
All investments involve risks and are not suitable for every investor. The value of securities may fluctuate and as a result, clients may lose more than their original investment. The past performance of a security or financial product does not guarantee future results or returns. Keep in mind that while diversification may help spread risk it does not assure a profit, or protect against the loss, in a down market.
There is always the potential of losing money when you invest in securities or other financial products. Investors should consider their investment objectives and risks carefully before investing. More details here.
Looking for more information on brokers and trading? Have a look at our trading guides:
- Best Forex Brokers for 2021
- Best Binary Options Brokers for 2021
- Best Online Stock Brokers for 2021
- Best Trading Apps for 2021
Economic Indicators that Drive the Forex Market
10 Factors that are crucial for the Forex Market The fact that the foreign exchange…
NASDAQ – What is it and How Does it Work?
[section_title align="left"]What is the Nasdaq?[/section_title] The Nasdaq Stock Market, also known as Nasdaq, is an…
How To Trade The W Pattern
Today there are many tools, indicators and guides to navigate through the market and earn…
How to Trade Gold – A Beginners Guide To XAUUSD
Once upon a time, trading gold was difficult. You had to buy and sell the…
24 Forex Trading Tips for Beginners – Things You Need To Know
One of the biggest challenges that beginner forex traders face, is the lack of information…
Best Online Stock Brokers for 2021
Want to buy shares of stocks like Apple (AAPL), Facebook (FB), Disney (DIS), or Uber…