Best Trading Apps for 2021
Mobile apps became very popular. They make your life a lot easier. There is an app for everything now. You can buy flight tickets, book a hotel, or trade on the stock exchange. There are a lot of trading apps out there so, to save you time, we selected the best free trading apps for you. Apps providing free stock, CFD trading, and ETF trading are gaining popularity, so it is worth taking a look at them if you don’t want to spend fortunes on your trading fees!
What are trading apps great for?
Trading apps can be used for trading, learning, charting, finding trading ideas, and also for market data and news. Some of the apps offer all of these features, while others only a few. Don’t worry, we have made trading app top lists for all of these features!
Trading apps are usually offered by financial companies such as online brokers or banks. These apps can be great add-ons to your web or desktop trading platform, but they can also be the flagship product of a company, for instance in the case of Robinhood, Etoro, and Freetrade.
We see trading apps as excellent complementary tools to web-based trading platforms and other financial portals. When you want to buy a stock, you can make fundamental or technical analyses on a computer more conveniently, but it’s easier to follow the price of the stocks you’ve already bought through a trading app. You can also intervene faster via an app, when, for example, you quickly need to sell your stocks.
We have tested the mobile trading apps of more than 70 online brokers. We have selected those, which provide free trading for stocks and ETFs on the US market, are user-friendly, and have great functionalities. If you are interested in comparing these apps, visit our comparison page.
When we tested the mobile applications we looked for:
- Good product and market search function
- Great variety of order types
- Price alert and order confirmation availability
- Two-step (safe) login
The top picks for the best trading apps in 2021
- Etoro – Best for Crypto and Copy Trading
- XM – Best Market Research and Alerts
- IQ Option – Best for combining Binary Options with CFD Trading
- Olymp Trade – Best for International Trading
- Plus500 – Award-Winning Platform
- Webull – Best Trader App
- Trading212 – Great Stock and ETF Research
- Merrill Edge – Best Portfolio Management
- E*TRADE – Lowest Cost and Best Execution
- Robinhood – Best App for Stock Trading
- TD Ameritrade – Best Self-Directed Trading App
- SoFi Active Investing – Free stock and ETF trading
- Acorns – Best Options Trading Platform, Best Broker for Advanced Options Traders, and Best Broker for Mobile Options Traders
- Zacks Trade – Best Broker for Beginning Options Traders
- Charles Schwab – Best Broker for Ease of Trading Experience
- Ally Invest – Best Customer Service
- You Invest by J.P.Morgan – Best Broker for Low-Cost Options Trading
- Fidelity – Best Broker for Beginners and Best Broker for Investor Education
- Wealthfront – Best Automated Investing App
- Betterment – Best App for Beginners
- Interactive Brokers – Best App for Active Traders and Professionals
- Tastyworks – Best App for Options Traders
2021 Overall Trading Apps Ranking
Here are the Overall rankings for the online brokers who participated in our 2021 Trading Apps Review, sorted by Overall ranking.
100%Bonus Welcome Deposit Bonus
- Low minimum deposit amount
- User friendly mobile app
- Variety of payment methods available
- Commission-free trading in over 5,000 different stocks and ETFs
- No account maintenance fees or software platform fees
- Leverage of 4:1 on margin trades made the same day and leverage of 2:1 on trades held overnight
- 15 cryptocurrencies that can be traded 24/7
- Easy-to-use website and mobile app
- Great community for cryptocurrency traders
$30 Trading Bonus
- No commissions
- Lightning-fast execution
- Beginners education and live analysis
- Easy-to-use platform
- Great account opening
- Quick and helpful customer support
Up to 100%
- Low Minimum Initial Deposit Requirement
- Cutting edge Trading Platform
- Quick withdrawals
The Evolution of Investing Apps
TD Ameritrade and Robinhood have refined their app experience to a point where a majority of investors can take a mobile-only approach to their portfolio. However, traders and more active investors may never reach this point completely, depending on the strategies they are employing and how complex the trades are. These more desktop-dependent investors still benefit from having the ability to monitor their trades on the go and even open up new positions within reason.
It is worth reflecting on how far the mobile apps of online brokerages have come. The vast majority of mobile apps are stable platforms with streaming data and functional workflows. This wasn’t the case as recently as five years ago when it was difficult to synchronize watchlists between platforms.
As brokers and Robo-advisors have embraced cloud processing and data storage, it’s become the industry standard to offer the same experience on a mobile device as one might have on a desktop platform or website. That is a significant amount of progress for the investing industry overall. We can still pick at layouts and argue about which functions deserve to be included in the mobile version, but the fact remains that investors are closer than ever before to have the market in their hands.
Desktop vs. Mobile Experiences
Rather than producing different apps for their customers who trade on the road, brokers now strive for a consistent experience between desktop and mobile platforms, including sharing watch lists and alerts as well as tools such as stock screeners, portfolio analysis, and depositing checks into your account. Streaming data has made its way to mobile apps along with advanced charting and educational offerings. We’ve seen complex options analysis and trading enabled as well.
With the availability of computers in our pockets, the way people interact with their trading and investment accounts have forced brokers to offer mobile apps along with their traditional desktop platforms.
What is the best stock trading app for beginners?
For beginners in 2021, the best stock trading apps are TD Ameritrade and Fidelity.
Between the two brokers, TD Ameritrade has the edge for educational resources and trading tools. Meanwhile, Fidelity offers a more comprehensive research experience for casual investors.
What is the best free trading app?
The best free stock trading app is TD Ameritrade. Unlike most brokers, TD Ameritrade offers two stock apps: TD Ameritrade Mobile and thinkorswim Mobile. TD Ameritrade Mobile is designed for casual investors. Meanwhile, thinkorswim Mobile is designed for the feature-hungry active trader. Both apps are fantastic.
What is the best app for market news and research data?
Investing.com and Bloomberg are our top picks for best apps for market news and data.
- Investing.com offers a wide range of market data and news
- Bloomberg provides high-quality news and you can also watch videos or listen to audios
What is the Best app for charting and trading ideas?
TradingView and Stocktwits are our top picks for the best apps for charting and trading ideas.
- TradingView has excellent charting and analyzing functions and it has a great design
- Stocktwits is a great app for sharing and watching others’ trading ideas
What is the Best app for learning to invest or trade?
Invstr and Trading Game are our top picks for the best apps for learning.
- On Invstr’s great and easy-to-use platform you can easily learn the basics of trading
- Trading Game provides well-illustrated educational texts
What is the Best app for CFD and Forex Trading?
XM and Etoro are our top picks for the best apps for trading CFDs and forex
- XM is a great and easy-to-use platform that you can easily learn the basics of trading
- Etoro provides almost all assets available in the market, plus the opportunity to auto-trade using their copy trader function
24 Forex Trading Tips for Beginners – Things You Need To Know
One of the biggest challenges that beginner forex traders face, is the lack of information…
Best Online Stock Brokers for 2021
Want to buy shares of stocks like Apple (AAPL), Facebook (FB), Disney (DIS), or Uber…
Best Forex Brokers for 2021
To help you to find the best online forex brokers in 2021, we went ahead…
Best Binary Options Brokers for 2021
To help you to find the best online binary options brokers in 2021, we went…
What is Cryptocurrency? A Beginner’s Guide
You have heard about it on the news or from a friend, but what exactly…
Ethical Investing Methods: SRI, ESG and Impact
There’s an old adage about voting with your dollars that refers to the impact people…